Due via email attachment on Sat., Sept. 29, 2018
In the wake of the French Revolution and the wars and restoration that followed it, attempts to redefine the individual’s relationship to society and the state continued, as is evident in vol.3, chap. 2 of GHDI, “Government and Administration: Authoritarian or Parliamentary/Constitutional Rule?” With this in mind, write a short essay in response to one of the following prompts:
- Using the same group of sources, analyze what liberals at the time understood by constitutional rule and why they favored it. You may draw on GHDI 3, chap. 1, if necessary, but focus on GHDI 3, chap 2.
- Using the same group of sources regarding the question of authoritarian versus constitutional rule (GHDI 3, chap 2), analyze the arguments that conservatives offered both against constitutional rule and for absolutist monarchy.
- Related to this question was that of Jewish emancipation. Using the documents in GHDI 3, chap. 3, analyze the justifications that proponents of Jewish emancipation used to advance this cause. What arguments did their opponents muster? How did such debates fit into broader questions about citizenship and belonging? (Refer to chaps, 1–2, as necessary, but focus on the sources in chap. 3.)
- Length: 750 to 1,000 words long (get the count from your word processor), no less and no more.
- Formatting: 1″ margins, double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman or similar font, aligned left.
- Citations: Parenthetic citations or footnotes. Keep them short. Include the website (GHDI), volume, chapter, and document, like this: GHDI 3, chap. 3, doc. 2.
- Style: Avoid the passive voice. Write in the past tense and provide time references as appropriate so your reader doesn’t get lost. Refer to specific speakers or authors and to the context in which they made a given statement.
- Quotations: Keep them short, provide context, and always tell your reader what their significance is, e.g., what they mean, why they matter, etc.
- Focus: Your essay should analyze the specific sources in your question. Although you might refer to the general historical context, keep that brief so that you have enough room to analyze the assigned primary sources.
- Please remember to include your name, the date, and the number of the question you are answering at the top of your essay.
- Please name your file with your last name, first initial or name, and the question number, e.g., stoneman mark q3.docx.
- Email me the file as an attachment and look for acknowledgment of receipt from me. If I don’t tell you I received it, assume I did not.
- Submit by 11:00 p.m. Sat., Sept. 29, 2018.
Sept. 15, 2018