Mark’s language skills and enthusiasm for text are just superb. What I liked best was that he challenged me content-wise when editing my writing. Mark is an excellent teacher, too. He explained all his edits very well.
Archival Summer Seminar in Germany
I had the pleasure of leading a small group of North American graduate students on a two-week archival seminar in 2013 and 2014, a then long-running GHI program format that is currently on hiatus. The idea was to familiarize them with a bit of the archival landscape there as well give them an opportunity to learn a type of German handwriting called Kurrentschrift. Clelia Caruso organized the first of these, and I organized the second.
- “2013 Archival Summer Seminar in Germany” (GHI Bulletin)
- “2014 Archival Summer Seminar in Germany” (GHI Bulletin)
- Diedrich H. Lüken, Fibel für den ersten Schreib- und Leseunterricht (St. Louis, MO: Conrad Witter’s Schul-Buchhandlung, 1873).
- Hand-Fibel, oder der Schreib-Lese-Unterricht als Erstes Lese-, Sprach- und Lehrbuch für Schule und Haus by Karl Hermanns (Philadelphia, PA: Verlag von Schäfer und Koradi, 1878).
- Deutsche Fibel by A. F. Lorenzen (Columbus, OH: Lutherische Verlagshandlung, 1901).
Image: Bayerisches Hauptstaatsarchiv entrance via Wikimedia Commons